Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Respect and Sticky Buns

The title got your attention didn't it? Keep reading.... I've had kind of a boring week. Funny how I can say that because at the time, I felt like I was extremely busy. But, making a list of things to blog about turned out to be very small.

I spent money at Dress Barn, ate dinner with friends at Sol Rio, went to a gardening class with my Mom, had a horrible experience in Primary and watched General Conference. There that's it... Now for the details.

It was a mistake for me to go shopping with my Mom at Dress Barn. I was convinced to spend too much money. But I will say that the clothes were well worth it- 2 shirts, a sweater and a brown skirt. I think Dress Barn is my new favorite store. I might also add that I did some convincing of my own and Mom spent plenty of money there also...

We had a great time at Sol Rio with a group of friends from our ward. I'm not a fan of Mexican food though and what I ate just didn't taste very good. And to top it all off, everyone else was able to eat with a fork, where mine was more fajita style and I made a mess. So embarrassing! Anyway, even though the food wasn't that great, the company was fantastic. I am so grateful for good friends in a fantastic ward.

My favorite gardening store is Town and Country Gardens. Every Saturday they put on a gardening class and my Mom and I went to the container gardening class. I love to plant my flowers. I'm no professional by any means but I am working on it. I can't wait for Memorial Day weekend. My sisters and my Mom and I all get together and have a flower planting party. I look forward to it all winter....

Primary 2 weeks ago, pretty much sucked. The primary president was out of town, the other counselor was sick and the secretary was late. We had scheduled to have all of the teachers leave for a teacher training meeting during sharing time, we had a substitute pianist and a substitute chorister. So, that left ME, a sub piano player and a sub chorister (who had to leave to feed her baby anyway) with ALL of those kids for 40 minutes while the teachers left for their meeting. And to say that the kids were awful that day is an understatement. I told the other counselor that it was a good thing I had Conference weekend to recover because I don't think that I could've gone back that soon. I was so fed up! I made poor Rex stay in the Primary room with me in case I needed an extra hand. And boy did he have to work- he told me later he doesn't see how we do that week after week.....

That kind of leads to my next point. I enjoyed General Conference very much. Probably the talk that stands out most to me was the one given by Sister Liffereth (I think it was her, not sure now......?) from the Primary General Presidency. She spoke about teaching our kids to respect others. I feel very strongly that this is an area that our world SEVERELY lacks in. I don't believe that kids are being taught to recognize and respect their elders- parents, teachers, grandparents, bosses, etc...... I hope that all of you who read this blog are teaching your kids to be respectful. I know that what I witnessed on Sunday in Primary was NOT respectful from probably 50% of the kids there. Some of those kids were just outright defiant. There I go, on my soapbox again.... But, I guarantee you, I have made a resolve to make sure my girls are respectful....

We spend the Saturday session of General Conference here at home but on Sunday, we go out to my parents house and eat a great breakfast- sticky buns (recipe below- and ignore my sisters and Rex's comments, if any, that they make- I have fixed the recipe!), egg souffle, cinnamon rolls, fruit, etc. So delicious! After Conference, we have dinner. I love Sunday Conference....

Sticky Buns

Line a greased bundt pan with finely chopped nuts. Put about 22 frozen Rhodes rolls evenly around pan. Sprinkle 1/2 Pkg (3 oz) butterscotch pudding (NOT instant) over the rolls. Melt 1/2 C brown sugar and 1 cube butter. Boil until like caramel. Pour over the rolls. Cover with a damp towel and let rise overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

Well, here are a few pictures of the girls- again in Idaho weather. First a snowman that they made together in a fresh batch of fantastic snowman snow and then Ashtyn with her snowdog- complete with a tail and ears. (And then a picture of my snow dog, Nora.) :) And finally a few days later, when Ashtyn and I went to the river and got sunburned. Thank you Idaho.....
The twins and their snowman

Tayla eating the snowman's nose

Ashtyn and her snow dog

My snow dog, Nora

Ashtyn at the river, feeding the ducks

Well, would you look at that! For not thinking that I had a lot to say, I said quite a bit....

3 comments:

Angie Robison said...

Love your blog. Your great. We have those days in primary too. Sometimes I wonder.

William And Kylie Mobley said...

That's pretty brave of you to put a sticky buns recipe on your blog....are you SURE it works now? Just kidding! If it makes you feel bettter, when I made sticky buns over conference some of them were still doughy and made me want to gag.

Valerie said...

I've seen this recipe many times, but have never tried it. It looks so easy though so I might just do it. (From a stranger who just popped onto your blog from the big bloggerworld)